Avoid decoration situations that are NSFW (Not Safe for Work). With the holidays quickly approaching, it is important you learn and avoid common fire hazards caused by holiday decorations. Everyone loves adding a little Christmas cheer to their office but don’t forget to keep your employees and building safe. As experts in fire protection systems for Columbus and the surrounding areas, Hard Fire has come up with a few safety hazards to avoid this holiday season.
- Before starting the process of decorating your office for the holidays, it’s a good idea to verify that all of your fire safety equipment is in proper working order. Make sure that your smoke detectors are working, and verify that the fire extinguishers are easily accessible. If you need assistance with this step, don’t hesitate to contact the experts in fire protection systems; Hard Fire.
- Next, be mindful of potential fire hazards when selecting holiday decorations and determining where to place them. Don’t block any fire safety equipment, exit signage or exits with holiday décor or lights. Avoid placing Christmas trees, gifts, or decorations in heavily trafficked areas where people might trip over them. Do not place any type of decorative items in exit corridors or over sprinklers.
- If you must include lights, make sure you use lights that have been tested for safety. Look for a certification mark from UL, CSA, ETL or other nationally-recognized laboratories. Consider using LED lights when possible. LED lights run cooler and use less energy than incandescent lights.
- Double check lights for frayed wires or cracks, and be sure there is a bulb in each socket. Discard and replace any damaged strands.
- Never place staples or nails through strings of lights, power cords, or extension cords.
- Never exceed the maximum number of strings or devices that may be linked together.
- Always turn off or even unplug all lights and other electric décor before leaving for the night.
- When decorating outside, keep ladders and decorations away from overhead power lines.
And these are just a few of the ways to avoid unsafe decorating this holiday season. For more tips on safe holiday decorating, don’t hesitate to give us a call. We can come out to test your fire protection systems and even install a new system if you’d like.
Are you interested in learning more about fire protection systems for your Columbus area business? Call us at Hard Fire at 800-848-1301 or 614-882-2990 or you can Contact Us.