A clean agent is defined by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) as “an electrically nonconductive, volatile or gaseous fire extinguishant that does not leave a residue upon evaporation.” Simply put, a clean agent is a way to extinguish a fire without using water. This is ideal for data storage rooms, IT equipment and irreplaceable items like art and antiques. As a commercial fire sprinkler systems company serving Columbus and the surrounding areas, we thought we would provide more information about clean agents and how they can benefit you.
Clean agents work by primarily inhibiting the chain reaction between heat oxygen and fuel source. Some examples of clean agents are FM-200 and Novec 1230.
There are many benefits to commercial fire sprinkler systems that use clean agents:
- Clean agents work quickly and can reach extinguishing levels in 10 seconds or less.
- Clean agents are incredibly effective. In conjunction with an early detection system they control and extinguish a fire when it is still in its incipient stage and before it has a chance to spread. These types of fire suppression agents are non-conductive and non-corrosive, which means they will not damage electronics, mechanical devices, art, etc.
- Our clean agents are safe to use around people and do not present any health hazards.
- Clean agents evaporate cleanly by quickly vaporizing into gas during discharge. They do not leave any residue behind and that means that clean up will not be too expensive. They also safely and effectively reach all areas of the protected space and will not damage sensitive equipment.
- Clean agents such as NOVEC 1230 are eco-friendly. They do not contribute to the depletion of the ozone layer, and they have a short atmospheric lifetime. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) does not have any usage restrictions for clean agents like FM-200 or Novec 1230.
Are you interested in learning more about clean agents and commercial fire sprinkler systems in Columbus? Call us at Hard Fire at 1-800-848-1301 or 614-882-2990, or you can Contact Us.