As a business owner, you want to keep your employees, customers and assets as safe as possible. And as a fire protection service in Ohio, we understand that desire. You want to be sure you and your employees are doing everything you can to stay safe and help prevent a fire. So here are a few suggestions on fire prevention that we have learned over the years as a fire protection service.
- Always make sure you have a working sprinkler system and fire detection system. Make sure the system is inspected regularly by a fire protection service like Hard Fire.
- If you have high shelving used for storage or any other purpose, make sure it is at least 18 inches below any sprinkler heads.
- Make sure there is always a clear path between shelves too. These paths should be free of debris and anything else that could be lying on the floor.
- Make sure your employees know the quickest evacuation route in case of an emergency, plus where to meet outside once they have evacuated. All of your employees should also know where fire extinguishers are and how to operate them. The evacuation plan should also be posted throughout your entire building in spots that are easy to see.
- Make sure your employees also know to call 911 if a fire breaks out and not to assume that someone else has alerted emergency personnel. Even if you have a monitoring service, it’s still a good idea to alert authorities that there is a fire emergency.
- Your employees should also know where the fire alarm is and how to use it and what the signal sounds like.
- Do not allow trash or other clutter to pile up. Make sure any trash is removed on a regular basis.
- Make sure your employees and vendors do not park in fire lanes, even if they are only going to be there for a few minutes.
- Be sure that no furniture or other heavy items block any doors, especially ones that lead outside.
- Do not allow anyone to smoke in your warehouse. Have a designated smoking area outside away from the building and make sure there is a container where people can safely extinguish their cigarettes.
Do you need fire protection service in Ohio? Call Hard Fire at 800-848-1301 or 614-882-2990, or you can Contact Us.